Monday, April 6, 2015

Spring Break Work Task 2

Reflection

Poem:  "Safe in Their Alabaster Chambers" Emily Dickinson
Safe in their Alabaster Chambers -
Untouched by Morning - 
and untouched by noon -
Sleep the meek members of the Resurrection, 
Rafter of Satin and Roof of Stone - 

Grand go the Years, 
In the Crescent above them -
Worlds scoop their Arcs - 
and Firmaments - row -
Diadems - drop -
And Doges surrender -
Soundless as Dots, 
On a Disk of Snow.

First Read:
The first thing I noticed in the poem was the dashes used at the end of some of the lines. I remember briefly hearing about Dickinson's use of the dashes in her poetry but hopefully doing the TP-CASTT will allow me to have a better understanding of the poem and how they're used. I also noticed the word choice is different than what I am used to in today's version of the English language.

Second Read:
Who is safe in these chambers? Alabaster is a type of material and a chamber is a place where something or someone can be  held. The people who are safe in the chambers are untouched bu morning and night, meaning they don't get to see morning or night. The meek members of the resurrection sleep. The rafter is made of of satin and the roof is made up of stone. I couldn't decipher the second stanza and the only thing I could figure out was that there are shifts in the poems because of the breaks, but I cant seem to get any further than this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment