Sunday, April 5, 2015

Spring Break Work Task 1

Reflection 

Poem: "Since there's no help" 

Prompt:  Write about your experience was like reading it the first time (what was the initial experience like) and then the second time around (what changed, if anything.) 

First Read: 
Reading this poem for the first time, I first noticed it is written in a different style than I am used to with words such as Nay, thou, and brow. Interestingly, after that I noticed the topic of the poem was love and I read the poem a few more times.

Second Read: 
The TP-CASTT helped me attain a better understanding of the poem because I analyzed the title and noticed it begins with the word since, indicating a period where there is cause and effect. Then, I could paraphrase the poem and translate it into my own words. Understanding the connotations of the poem became essential because then I could understand the use of personification and Point of view of the poem. I still don't understand how attitude works but I am trying to get a better grasp of the concept. I also never knew about shifts in a poem and how they could be used in terms of meaning. 

With an initial reading there are many components of the poem I miss. The first way I tackled any of the poems was by reading the poem in my head, out-loud, and then once more in my head (I try to do this without letting my pen touching the page to annotate it but that is fairly challenging. After the reading I begin annotating and trying to notice the things that jump out at me by reading at different paces to capture what the poem is trying to say, or what the speaker in the poem is trying to say. I've noticed that the poems become easier as I read them more. Working with the TP-CASTT allows me to wrap up the poem and capture the key parts all on a single sheet of paper. The TP-CASTT exercises become easier the more they are done because I have practice with the exercise even if the poem is new to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment